Hugh A. Davidson CPA, CA, CBV
Hugh attended Dalhousie University and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in 1974. He joined Doane Raymond in 1975 as a student in the C.A. program and obtained his C.A. in 1978.
Hugh joined Lyle Tilley Davidson in 1984 and became a partner in 1989. In December of 1997, Hugh obtained his C.B.V. (Chartered Business Valuator) designation.
Hugh's practice consists mainly of audit and review engagements of small businesses with emphasis on the local artistic community and specialization in valuations of businesses for sale and/or for income tax planning and preparation of business plans. He has a broad range of clients, including:
- Film and entertainment industry;
- Automobile sales and leasing operations;
- Not-for-Profit and Charitable organizations;
- Research and development;
- Retail sales;
- Legal practices; sole practitioners and small partnerships;
- Real estate
- Preparation of reports to counsel on the quantification of losses on the expropriation of property;
- Preparation of report for insurance company on the quantification loss of earnings for a self-employed individual in a personal injury lawsuit;
- Hired as expert witness in expropriation and divorce proceedings.
- Completed over 100 business valuation assignments for income tax planning, compliance purposes and use in divorce proceedings in the medium to small business sector.
- Completed several valuation assignments in connection with the purchase and/or sale of a business and assisted with negotiating the purchase or selling price with vendors/purchasers.
Management Consulting and Related Experience
In addition to acting as an audit partner, he acts as a business advisor and sounding board to many of his clients.
Hugh regularly undertakes special assignments for clients and others. In recent years, these have included the preparation of:
- financial forecasts and business plans;
- financial projections;
- financing advice;
- assistance with corporate and personal tax planning including remuneration for owner/managers.
Professional and Community Associations
- Member of Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nova Scotia;
- Member of Institute of Chartered Business Valuators;
- Ashburn Golf Club membership;
- Board of Directors - Willpower Productions Theatre Group;
- Past Treasurer of Canadian Red Cross Society
- - Nova Scotia division;
- Past treasurer of Amherst golf Club;
- Past treasurer Bridgewater Golf Club;
- Past treasurer of Bridgewater Lions Club.