Brian J. Horner CPA, CA
Brian began his career in the Halifax office of a national accounting firm and obtained his Chartered Accountant designation in 1972. He was made a partner in the firm in 1981. He served on several of the firm’s regional committees including the education and audit committees, as well as having served as the region’s representative on the National Professional Practice Committee. He joined the firm of Lyle Tilley Davidson as a Partner in January, 1995. He obtained the CFP designation in 1998 and his TEP designation in 2002.
Brian is a partner in our Halifax General Practice Group and is responsible for serving a wide range of clients, both large and small, providing audit, accounting, tax planning and compliance, and business advisory services to his clients. His past duties have also included the complete responsibility for all aspects of the human resource activities in the Halifax office of Coopers & Lybrand and co-ordination of the human resources programs with the offices in Truro, Bridgewater, Sydney and Moncton.
Brian has been involved in the technical education of staff and has instructed at staff training courses for several years. He has been actively involved in shaping his former firm’s audit strategies as Chairman of the regional Audit Committee and a member of its National Professional Practice Committee.
Industry Sector Experience
Brian has been responsible for serving a wide range of clients including:
- Retail drug store chain
- Power utility
- Large construction-related group of companies
- Regional grocery chain
- Food brokerage firms
- Insurance agencies
- Engineering and surveying
- Commercial and residential real estate development and rental properties
- Automobile dealerships
- Professional practices
- Construction and contracting
- Nursing homes
- Trust funds
- Credit union and trust companies
- Various non-profit organizations
Consulting and Other Experience
In addition to acting as an audit partner, he acts as a business advisor and sounding board to many of his clients. Brian regularly undertakes special assignments for clients and others. In recent years, these have included the preparation of financial forecasts and business plans, financial projections, financing advice and assistance with business acquisitions/divestitures and corporate and personal tax planning including remuneration for owner/managers.
Professional and Community Associations
- Member of Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nova Scotia (past member of Council and various committees)
- Member, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP Licensee)
- Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Member, Metro Executive Group (served as Treasurer and Director for 15 years)
- Past Chairman of Finance Committee of St. Peter’s Parish
- Past Member of Parish Council of St. Peter’s Parish